Due to its broad and well established industry base combined with the overall stability of the region’s economy, Central Queensland offers a multitude of investment opportunities. From a traditional perspective in established industries such as agriculture, manufacturing, property development, retail and transport through to enterprising and innovative solutions to satisfy national and global demands in key developing sectors such as health services, communications, agri-business, warehousing, entrepreneurial and professional services, education and tourism.
Prospective investors are encouraged to evaluate opportunities in the areas of:
- Innovative manufacturing
- Construction and property development
- Communications and electronics
- Health services
- Education programs
- Airport services and aeronautics
- Transport and logistics
- Resources and mining
INNOVATION INVESTMENT REGION
- The Rockhampton Region is one of only two regions in Queensland and one of 10 in Australia, to be gazetted as an “Innovation Region” for investment priority by the Australian Government.
- The Region has a culture of collaboration and connectivity for innovation, and new technologies are trialled in the region by organisations such as Ergon Energy and Stanwell Corporation.
- Ergon Energy has won the International Edison Award 2015 Edison Awards – for technology it developed to allow for fast and accurate inspection and assessment of electricity networks. The Remote Observation Automated Modelling Economic Simulation (ROAMES) technology is an aircraft-based laser and imaging capture system that maps a network and creates a virtual world that was used to assess the damage in the wake of Cyclone Marcia in February 2015 enabling a faster, safer and more effective and efficient response.
INTERNATIONAL AERONAUTICAL AND MILITARY PRECINCT
- Provides aeronautical and freight services for domestic passenger services to Brisbane, Mackay and Gladstone with Qantas and Virgin Australia and to Townsville and Gold Coast with Jetgo.
- Runway and support infrastructure that can accommodate all commercial passenger and heavy lift aircraft.
- The airport and associated specialist facilities are routinely used by Australian and international defence forces in support of their activities in the Shoalwater Bay Training Area.
- Domestic and international air freight capabilities are of importance to Australia’s national freight activities as well as logistics operators seeking rapid links to Asia Pacific markets.
- An attractive site for aeronautical businesses; including engineering, manufacturing, defence and related industries.
- The Region is home to hosting Queensland’s most integrated education industry – the state’s first dual sector university integrating vocational and tertiary education through a merger of CQUniversity and CQTAFE. Ongoing transformations are enormously increasing the Region’s capacity to produce appropriately educated and vocationally trained staff for the state’s engineering and health sectors.
- Joint training initiatives between CQUniversity and Queensland Health through the Rockhampton Hospital.
- University of Queensland – School of Medicine “Rural Clinical School” located in Rockhampton.
- Professional, scientific and technical services make up the Region’s fastest growing sector with demonstrated successes providing domestic and foreign markets with mining, industrial, freight and transport services.
- Ergon Energy has chosen the Rockhampton Region for its trial of ‘Smart Meter’ technology – integrated broadband electricity meters. Ergon is using a site in Yeppoon as a pilot project for this innovative technology.
- Through the National Broadband Service, NBN, the Region’s telecommunications services will be comparable to national capital cities.
- The Region has created an enabling environment for continued growth and is at the apex of broadband communication improvement plans, bolstered by its energy sector and health service hub roles.
- Embraces the National Broadband Network as it will significantly expand the Rockhampton Region’s capacity to deliver services to Central Queensland particularly in the areas of health and education.
GROWING ENERGY SECTOR
- The Region already provides approximately 7% of Queensland’s jobs in the ‘Energy, Gas, and Water sector’ and is home to very highly skilled technicians employed by major energy concerns like Ergon Energy and Stanwell Power Station.
- Employment in the sector has grown by approximately 77% between 2006 and 2010 within the region and also offers flow-on opportunities for business concerns providing associated services and facilities.
- The Region is already linked to the entire eastern seaboard through high capacity transmission infrastructure due to the 1434 megawatt Stanwell Power Station.
- The Region offers outstanding viable sun, wind, water, and geothermal resources at sites close to the grid for further energy generation facilities.
- The Region offers excellent vehicles of communication between the private sector and government, and strong links between government agents due to housing state and federal executive offices.
- The Region offers strong links to Australian and foreign agents for investment and promotion of local operators to Australian and foreign markets, and is home to dedicated government funded specialist Trade Queensland and AusTrade exporter services.
- The Region has demonstrated an environment conducive to sustained investment and returns, supporting strong investor confidence and access to finance due to low risk ratings by lenders and mortgage insurers.