Record wins for Capricorn Region and Southern Great Barrier Reef destination at Queensland Tourism Awards 2018!
Posted on November 19th, 2018
A record four (4) Gold, Silver and Bronze Awards for the Capricorn Region and a record fourteen (14) Awards across the greater Southern Great Barrier Reef (SGBR) Destination were taken out at this year’s Annual Queensland Tourism Awards at the Star Casino on the Gold Coast on Friday night, hosted by the Queensland Tourism Industry Council (QTIC) and presented by Queensland Airports Corporation.
- Capricorn Caves – GOLD Tourist Attraction
- Empire Apartment Hotel – GOLD Deluxe Accommodation
- Empire Apartment Hotel – SILVER Business and Event Venues
- Beef Australia 2018 – BRONZE Major Festivals and Events
Capricorn Enterprise CEO Mary Carroll said “to have so many of our operators receive a Queensland Tourism Award in front of a thousand of our industry operators is truly a magnificent and proud feeling, not to mention the incredible ongoing marketing opportunity to showcase our destination. Our Gold winners Empire Apartment Hotel and Capricorn Caves will automatically compete in the National Tourism Awards to be held in Launceston Tasmania in February 2019.”
In addition, the collaborative multi-media marketing campaign between seven (7) Regional Tourism Organisations along the Great Barrier Reef, led by Townsville Enterprise, took out GOLD for Marketing in the state!
- The Ultimate Guide to Driving the Great Barrier Reef – GOLD The Richard Power Award for Destination Marketing (Tourism Tropical North Qld, Townsville Enterprise, Tourism Whitsundays, Mackay Tourism, Capricorn Enterprise, GAPDL and Bundaberg Tourism for the Southern Great Barrier Reef)
Capricorn Enterprise CEO Mary Carroll said “Winning the state’s award for marketing above the Gold and Sunshine Coasts for their campaigns during the Commonwealth Games, just proves what collaboration and partnership can achieve by our dedicated and passionate regional tourism organisations, with less budget and more determination. We congratulate the team at Townsville Enterprise for leading this massive GBR project on behalf of seven RTOs.”
Fun Over Fifty which includes annual tours in their national tour program to the Capricorn Coast, Carnarvon Gorge and the Town of 1770, took out a Gold and two Silver Awards in three categories, with owner Toni Brennan honouring the memory of Ann Augusteyn at Capricorn Caves by recalling as she accepted her award, “Ann taught me everything I know about eco-tourism and to win Gold for the Steve Irwin Award for Ecotourism is dedicated to this amazing lady. Ann valued not just the environment but people, and her passion and determination in the tourism industry is a legacy we will all remember.”
- Fun Over Fifty – GOLD The Steve Irwin Award for Ecotourism
- Fun Over Fifty – SILVER Cultural Tourism
- Fun Over Fifty – SILVER Tour and Transport Operator
Capricorn Enterprise CEO Mary Carroll said “The night was truly a roller coaster of emotions, with Ann Augusteyn’s family accepting the Gold Award with Capricorn Caves General Manager Amanda Hinton. The surprise entertainment for the evening was Opera singer Marina Prior which reminded us all of Opera in the Caves. Tourism and Events Queensland CEO Leanne Coddington made special mention of Ann’s legacy and QTIC’s annual tribute to those who have passed during the year is always a very special inclusion during the Awards night.”
Other winners in the greater Southern Great Barrier Reef Destination from the Bundaberg region were:
- Bundaberg Rum – GOLD Tourism Wineries, Distilleries and Breweries
- Mon Repo Turtle Volunteers – GOLD Outstanding Contribution by a Volunteer or Volunteer Group
- Bundy Food Tours – SILVER Excellence in Food Tourism
- Bundaberg Rum Visitor Experience – SILVER Tourist Attraction
- Lady Elliot Island Eco Retreat – BRONZE The Steve Irwin Award for Ecotourism
- Kelly’s Beach Resort – BRONZE Standard Accommodation
To view all QTA2018 Winners go to: