Rookwood Weir water up for grabs
Posted on May 27th, 2020
On completion, the Rookwood Weir will be the largest Sunwater operated weir in regional Queensland. This valuable new water source will bring much needed water security as well as economic growth and jobs for Central Queenslanders.
Sunwater is now providing the market with the opportunity to purchase upwards of 37,500 megalitres (ML) of medium priority (MP) water for agricultural and non-urban use. From today, Sunwater will be inviting landholders and investors to discuss their water needs and the opportunity to secure a water allocation from Rookwood Weir.
Sunwater is proposing to sell water from Rookwood Weir through a two-step process:
1. Tender One water sales process for lots 500 megalitres (ML) and greater will be held in late July 2020 (capped at a maximum of 30,000 ML)
2. An Expressions of Interest (EOI) process to work with Sunwater following Tender One in preparation for a second tender of smaller lots (Tender Two), which is expected to be held in 2022. Landholders interested in securing smaller water lots are being encouraged to complete a Registration of Interest Form to participate in the EOI process. If they are a landholder on Lower Fitzroy River, and/or currently hold a water allocation, they will receive an information package over the coming week, which includes:
- Covering letter outlining the process and the support that Sunwater will make available, plus a deep insight into the rich agricultural opportunity land diversification presents for those with a landholding along the Fitzroy River
- Rookwood Weir Water Allocation Sales: Information Memorandum – May 2020
- Registration of Interest Form – a form landholders complete to register an Expression of Interest to seek assistance from Sunwater to support them prepare for Tender Two in 2022.
- Landholder Opportunities Overview – a brochure that highlights two case studies of growers who have used reliable supplemented water allocations to underpin the intensification of their agricultural enterprises, and in doing so, improved their net return
- Rookwood Weir Project Calendar 2020-2023 – a handy go to guide to what’s happening when and by whom across the water planning, water sales and construction of enabling works and the Rookwood Weir
- Rookwood Weir Project: Project Update – June 2020
Print advertising has commenced today in Rockhampton, Gladstone, Emerald and Biloela. The joint Sunwater/DNRME radio advertising encouraging residents in the region to have their say on shaping a new water plan for the Fitzroy Basin will continue until 12 June 2020.
For more information
- Water sales enquiries:
Please contact Steve Dudgeon by emailing steve.dudgeon@Sunwater.com.au or phoning 0418 523 053
- Rookwood Weir Project:
Please email email@example.com or phone the project hotline – 1800 423 213
Visit www.sunwater.com.au > Dams and infrastructure > Projects > Rookwood Weir Project
Are you receiving your monthly Rookwood Weir Project update – Rookwood Weir Roundup? If not, please email us today to receive a regular update direct to your inbox.
- Water plan consultation: Please advise that consultation is being led by the Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy (DNRME), and to visit the DNRME website – www.dnrme.qld.gov.au – or phone 1800 822 100.
This is a unique opportunity for interested parties to participate in the economic development of the Lower Fitzroy region.
Sunwater looks forward to engaging Central Queenslanders in this process and contributing to the growth of the region.